- This event has passed.
Inset – London Workshop: : Using Short Film Creatively In The Language Classroom (Visual Literacy and Critical Thinking)
February 22 @ 10:00 - 15:00
This interactive INSET workshop for PGCE Language students and newly qualified language teachers (NQT) only, will provide a framework for introducing film literacy and critical analysis strategies required in several components of the Language syllabuses (GCSE and A-Level). The event will propose a range of practical activities for embedding visual, film literacy and critical thinking using short films.
DATES AND VENUES
Saturday, 22 February 2020
Senate House, Malet Street, LONDON
Registration Fee £15* *Please note the registration fee is non-refundable
For advanced registration and online payment (required) please click here
The workshop aims to:
• provide contexts and methodologies to use (short) films as part of existing Modern Language programmes
• cover different levels
• address different learning aims and outcomes
• introduce the key terminology teachers need
• apply relevant film concepts and integrate them into formative language exercises
• develop a better awareness of (multi) literacies, particularly visual literacy and critical thinking literacy
• present the main advantages of multimodal approaches to study and discuss short films
• encourage the creation of Open Educational Resources, under a Creative Common license, as part of the AHRC OWRI Cross-Language Dynamics Project on “New Approaches to Transmedia and Language Pedagogy”
• facilitate networking, advocacy and/or partnership among language teachers
A certificate of attendance will be issued.
This event is organised by Manchester Metropolitan University as part of the OWRI Cross-Language Dynamics Project.
Funding: This work has been supported by the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council’s Open World Research Initiative (OWRI), under the programme “Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community”, and the Manchester Metropolitan University.