Language World 1990 was the Association for Language Learning’s 1st national conference, at the University of Exeter, 24-26 March 1990.
Delegates were discussing:
• Bienvenue en France: a video course for adult beginners, Gérard Links, délégué pédagogique for Hatier International;
• Technology in Language Learning, Brian Hill, Professor of Modern Languages, Brighton Polytechnic;
• Developing new and exploratory audio material, Rosemary Plum, broadcaster;
• GB – USSR Exchanges, Patricia Cockrell, Russian teacher, Exeter; and
• ‘Community Languages’: assessments and attainment targets, Diana Muallem, Subject Officer, LEAG.
Elsewhere, the first democratic elections took place in East Germany; record temperatures were recorded in Leicester; Glasgow was named Cultural Capital of Europe; and British Sky Broadcasting (BSB) made its debut.