Language World 2007 returned to the University of Oxford, 30-31 March 2007.
ALL President David Wilson highlighted the importance of “Expanding Horizons”, and ‘positive messages about the importance of language learning.’
LW2007 Plenary speakers were Lord Dearing, Dr Lid King, David Graddol, ALL President David Wilson, and past and future presidents Kathy Wicksteed and Helen Myers.
Major talks included:
• Expanding horizons – European policy development, Isabella Moore CBE, Director of CILT;
• Reaching other Language Worlds – synergies between MFL in the UK, EFL abroad and language teaching worldwide, Michael Carrier, Executive Director of International House World Organisation; and
• Accelerating language skills through the strategic classroom, Ernesto Macaro, Oxford University and Suzanne Graham, Reading University.
The programme topics encompassed:
• Making the Most of your Multimedia Language Suite, Wendy Adeniji, MFL teacher and trainer;
• Integrating Storytelling with ICT to teach Primary Languages, Wendy Adeniji;
• Alternative resources for alternative courses, Sharon Czudak, Language Teaching Advisor 14-19 (FE), CILT; and
• Immersion Teaching in practice, Ana Neofitou and Jo Redford.
Also on offer at Language World 2007 were the free exhibition, wine tasting event, the Collins drink reception, and the Language World annual conference dinner.
Also in March, the BBC reported that bilingual children do better at school, and Red Nose Day raised ~£40 million for Comic Relief.