Theme of the fortnight:
The ALL Language Zones contain our five language publications – Francophonie, Deutsch Lehren und Lernen, Vida Hispánica and Tuttitalia, plus new and specially selected archive content – an entirely interactive and interconnected archive on language teaching practice. They also contain networking and information areas for each language: for cultural information, discussion, news and updates.
This fortnight’s theme on our Language Zones is Christmas – featured articles include: News & Notes, Once upon a time…. Using fairy tales to engage with German, How to get a cultural boost in the UK, Real-life resources, Events and festivals in the Spanish-speaking world, Festivals and fiestas in France and the French-speaking world, and Festivals and fiestas in Germany and the German-speaking world.
Here are a few selections for the Christmas season, from the ALL Literature Wiki and its Online Sources pages. (PS: The list is also available on the wiki as ‘Christmas mix’)
O Tannenbaum: singalong version in German (Search ‘Tannenbaum’)
A variety of Grimm stories: with text and animated versions in a wide range of languages, and specific lesson ideas too – search Grimm or Schneewittchen
World Stories: a growing collection of stories from around the world. The collection includes retold traditional tales and new short stories in the languages most spoken by UK children.
The Frozen song in German: with lyrics
Stille Nacht: Nana Mouskouri
Cascabeles: Jingle Bells in Spanish
Campana sobre campana
El Burrito de Belén: Song with responses
Here is a Spanglish version of ‘A visit from St Nick’ which might amuse!
The Frozen song in Spanish
Vive le vent: Jingle Bells in French or with lyrics on screen or for real masochists the Chipmunks’ version!
The Frozen song in French
Chanson pour les enfants l’hiver: a well-known Prévert poem available in different versions – Search ‘Chanson’.
On this French site you can find an Advent calendar offering a new story each day Voeux de bonne année: an email text for reading and use as a writing frame – Search ‘voeux’
Useful ideas for you and your students could include:
- In the first week of Advent, here are a few ideas you may find useful!
- French advent calendars: Jeannedelalune – Le Calendrier de l’Avent en Chansons
- German advent calendars: UK German Connection – Advent Calendar from the German Embassy in London – Goethe-Institut Adventskalender 2015
- Italian Advent calendar: Calendario dell’Avvento
- International advent calendars: World Advent Calendar @ Woodlands Junior School – International Recipe Advent Calendar
- Make some lovely French, German and Spanish Christmas cards, courtesy of Ideas Education
- Make some Christmas poetry balls or Christmas fir trees
- Some more ideas for Christmas links and resources, Christmas crafts and activities
And you can even write to Père Noël himself!
- In the second week of Advent, here are a few ideas you may find useful!
- Christmas cards and greetings: L’Internaute Christmas cards – Greet friends all over the world – Say ‘Seasons Greetings’ in many languages
- Christmas activities and ideas: Christmas recipes, crafts and songs – Cookies of the World! – Lightbulb Languages Christmas resources – Woodlands Junior School – Lancashire Grid for Learning – UK-German Connection – MFLResources – Christmas crafts – Christmas tree crafts
- Christmas traditions: BBC Languages @ Christmas – Christmas in Germany – German Christmas markets – Advent in Germany – French Christmas traditions – Advent in France – Christmas around the World with the North Pole – Festive inspiration – Festivals of light.
- Pinterest: French Festivals – German Festivals – Italian Festivals – Russian Festivals – Spanish Festivals
- And for something a little bit darker…! Krampus: The Dark Companion of Saint Nick
- In the third week of Advent, here are a few ideas you may find useful!
- All about St Nicholas: Momes.net minidossier – Coloriages Saint Nicolas – Saint Nicolas pour les enfants – Santa Claus – Make your own origami Père Noёl – Write to the Weihnachtsmann! – Petit Papa Noël
- Songs: A musical Christmas train from Quebec – Pigloo, the French singing penguin – Chanson pour les enfants l’hiver – Pere Noel – Quand le Père Noël – Rudolf, das kleine Rentier – German Christmas songs – Nikolauslied – Kling, Glöcken,Klingelingeling – Stille Nacht – O Tannenbaum – Euroclub Schools Christmas jukebox – Spanish Christmas carols – World Wide Christmas
- Christmas resources: French Christmas resources – French Christmas sudoku – German Christmas sudoku – Spanish Christmas sudoku – Noël starter activities – Christmas resources and links – French Christmas resources for children – Cartes de Noel – Christmas colouring pictures – Cartes de Noël 2014 – Goethe Institut Primary Christmas Special – Voyage Kids Christmas Special
- And last, but not least:
- NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) are getting ready to track Santa’s trip around the world on Christmas Eve. Their Tracking Santa’ website contains lots of games and activities in eight different languages to help you and your students to get ready too…
- Plus: The International Space Station (ISS) is back over UK skies with some great evening passes during December 2015 with great passes over the Christmas period. The ISS is the largest Space Station/ laboratory ever built, and can be spotted with the naked eye at certain times as it orbits Earth at 17500mph at an altitude of roughly 200 miles. You should be able to see it on 24 December at ~5:30pm, clear skies allowing…! For more information, click here.