19 October 2019, 10:00 — 27 October, 16:00
‘Escape At The Grafton’, The Grafton Centre, Cambridge, CB1 1PS
Discover the weird and wonderful world of languages!
The UK has a museum for dog collars and lawn mowers, but not for languages. This autumn an innovative ‘Pop-Up World of Languages’, the first UK pop-up museum of languages aims to fill this gap.
The public are invited to this free interactive exhibition uncovering hidden treasures of languages through family-friendly, hands-on activities and games. It opens in the Grafton Centre, Cambridge Saturday 19th October, until Sunday 27th, and promises to be a fun and educational family experience.
Attendees will Journey through three zones exploring:
Languages and me
Why should we bother to learn languages? You may be surprised to find out:
- how learning a language can boost your brain power
- how many languages you already know without even realising
- where languages can take you in life
Languages around me
All you have to do is stop, look and listen! Here, you will explore:
- different accents, and your reactions to them
- translating the untranslatable… can it be done?
- the many languages around us in our cities, towns and villages
Languages in the world
There are thousands of different languages in the world! Here, you will discover:
- which languages are most spoken and which are in danger
- whether some languages are trickier than others
- the different sounds and writing systems languages use