What is ALL?
The Association for Language Learning (ALL) is an independent registered charity (registered charity number 1001826) and is the UK's major subject association for those involved in the teaching foreign languages at all levels.
The Association for Language Learning (ALL) was founded in 1990 through the amalgamation of seven UK associations of language teachers:
- Association of Teachers of Italian
- Association of Teachers of German
- Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese
- Association of Dutch Language Teachers
- Association of Teachers of Russian
- British Association for Language Teaching and the Modern Language Association, which had previously worked together under the umbrella of The Joint Council of Language Associations.
ALL is now the major subject association for those involved in teaching modern foreign languages at all levels. We exist to represent and support language teachers and are committed to their ongoing professional development. We work to support our members, providing them with opportunities to access local, regional and national training and networking events, as well as providing them with practitioner-focused and research-based publications in hard copy and online.
ALL provides members with a languages focused news digest once a week in the form of an e-bulletin, ALLNet, which brings all the latest information, news, events, competitions occurring in the languages sector through ALL directly, or via our diverse range of corporate members and partner organisations. As we are funded largely through membership subscriptions, these enable us to represent the views of language teachers and also support us to work collaboratively with a range of national and international organisations with similar aims, on languages initiatives, policy and projects for members and non-members alike.
Our members are language teachers in all sectors, as well as other professionals working in the languages education sector.
Together we are stronger, so if you are not already a member, please join us and lend your voice to ours.
Please click on the image below to download a pdf detailing our Strategic Vision for 2020.
- to encourage an understanding of the importance of languages at all levels in our society
- to promote the development of language policies which reflect the linguistic diversity and the language needs of the country and its population
- to advance public understanding of language learning and the techniques and approaches for successful language teaching
- to promote improved standards of language teaching
ALL actively promotes the teaching and learning of foreign languages by:
- providing information and publications
- organising professional development activities
- acting as a public voice on behalf of members.