Language World 2018
23-24 March 2018
Jurys Inn, Hinckley Island, Leicestershire
Language World is ALL’s flagship annual conference and CPD event
Language World offers a packed programme with speakers from across the languages sector, with a large number coming from primary and secondary schools.
It’s an exhibition: a large and varied exhibition showcasing the latest in language learning resources and support
It’s a real boost to your teaching: a great way to recharge your batteries – a two day shot of ideas, advice, debate and inspiration
It’s a celebration: get together with other language teachers from around the UK, and around the world… at Language World!
The theme for Language World 2018 was Flying the Flag for Languages. Find out more about Language World 2018 here.
Our conference programme
Our 2018 conference programme consisted of:
- plenary sessions – where we brought all of our delegates together for an address, celebration, keynote or welcome.
- keynote – where ALL highlighted the findings from its’ in-depth research exercise undertaken as part of the Language Futures initiative. Language Futures centres around student choice and agency, creating and fostering a broader language learning community beyond the classroom doors, with teachers acting as facilitators of project-based learning. Dr Rachel Hawkes presented this year’s conference keynote on Language Futures – lessons for the mainstream classroom and beyond.
- major talks – where delegates chose from one of three major talks.
- workshop sessions– where delegates chose one of 5 workshop sessions.
- project updates – ALL is a partner in a collaborative project comprising ten international partners, who have worked on the development and launch of an interactive game which will measure primary languages learners’ progression. The project is led by the Goethe-Institut and known as THE LANGUAGE MAGICIAN. The official launch of the game was at Language World 2018.
- ALL was lucky to have a sketchnote wall again for Language World 2018, capturing all of the conference and exhibition highlights as a visual treat.
Primary and Secondary Language Teachers of the Year
ALL runs an annual award scheme and announced the Primary and Secondary Language Teachers of the Year 2018 at an awards ceremony on Saturday 24 March at Language World 2018.
New for 2018
ALL ran a 1:1 career clinic and drop-in for student teachers and NQTs during the conference – an opportunity for those new to the language teaching profession to tap into the wealth of expertise and knowledge of our more experienced members. We anticipated a rewarding experience for all concerned and a positive buzz permeating the conference as a result. Over 40 people attended this lunchtime session.